Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc8

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 22:00:18 EST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Jiri Kosina wrote:
>>
>> Intel is working with us on tracking down and resolving the issue, but
>> this is not going as well as one would like to see (one attempt, one card
>> with completely hosed EEPROM contents ... and restoring the contents is
>> not *that* trivial).
>
> What's the magic to trigger it? I've got a laptop with that e1000e chip in
> it, and am obviously running a recent kernel on it. Do people have a
> handle on it? Is it actually verified to be kernel-related, and not
> related to the X server etc?

If we had the magic we'd have fixed it by now, the current working
theory is its X server related. This
hasn't been proven, though my ATI GPU e1000e seems fine so it may have
some legs.

If it is X related then its both a kernel + X server issue, the e1000e
driver opens the barn door, the X server drives the horses through it.

Of course until someone produces a way to fix the hw after it breaks,
reproducing this isn't something for the feint hearted. I'm hoping my
laptop
comes back today with a brand new motherboard in it.

Dave.