Re: Faster getcpu() and sched_getcpu()

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 18:02:03 EST

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:55:26PM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:

> >> IIRC, some vsyscall.c code needs them enabled, so Dean's earlier patch split
> >>

> > I don't think it really needs it.
> >

> >> vsyscall.c, creating a vsyscall_user.c for code which can run without them.
> >> Seem reasonable?
> >>

> > Seems unnecessarily complicated.
> >

> i disagree that it's complicated to have two files, and disagree that
> it's unnecessary to have two files.

It's unnecessary to have frame pointer in the kernel functions I meant.
I agree with you that disabling redzone is needed for kernel code,
but without frame pointers (which are generally a bad idea for
performance and should not have been added to the 64bit port ever)
redzone is also not particularly expensive and it shouldn't be needed
to do anything complicated (like splitting files) just for the few
cycles.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx