Re: [patch 00/04] RFC: Staging tree (drivers/staging)

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 18:46:28 EST

Parag Warudkar wrote:
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Stefan Richter
<stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Parag Warudkar wrote:
Just name the staging modules with _stg prefix like I said - easier to
spot _stg in the module list than decoding the taint.
It is nice to not have to change core kernel code and annoy users with
warnings
Yes, let's annoy them with weird name changes instead.

So people now a days crave for documenting staging modules and also
get confused by the mixed use of driver_stg or driver? Come on.

The name changes hardly matter for auto loading staging modules

I continue to believe that you don't work with users.

and I would be surprised if people document crap modules especially since
the stable ones are documented later if at all they end up being
documented.

Many of the staging drivers are already in active use; one or another even for years. Since they are not as easy to use as mainline drivers, people discuss and document them.
--
Stefan Richter