RE: e1000e NVM corruption issue status

From: Brandeburg, Jesse
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 18:23:52 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> But... do you really have a flash chip there? I think it's more about
> EEPROM (a serial usually 8-pin small chip, keeping the MAC address and
> hardware configuration). Flash chips are used for diskless booting
> (though corrupting them can make the machine unbootable of course).
>
> Sure, writing to a parallel flash chip is easy, much easier than to
> serial EEPROM.

ICH 8/9/10 machines with Intel gigabit part integrated (82566/82567)
share the system Flash space with all the other system devices, BIOS,
etc. The gigabit region is the currently only "unprotected" region I
know of. It is never directly memory mapped, but the registers that
program to it are memory mapped from our BAR1, like Tim said, possibly
only requiring an errant write of a few bits of ones, to erase it (I've
been trying to confirm that)