hp-wmi on HP dv5z

From: Howard Chu
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 18:15:27 EST

Hi, just got a new HP dv5z laptop and trying to make sense of how everything fits together. The wifi button on this laptop doesn't appear to generate any keyboard event. I loaded the hp-wmi module, and that allows me to toggle the wlan and bluetooth in software, by writing to /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill[01]/state. But pressing the button still does nothing. What am I missing?

Also, disabling the wifi the first time turns the wifi LED from blue (active) to orange (inactive) which is what I'd expect, but re-enabling it leaves the LED orange. Again, what am I missing?

Without the hp-wmi module loaded, FN+F7 and FN+F8 would control the display backlight brightness. With it loaded, these keys do nothing. Seems there's some conflict between hp-wmi and ACPI. Any suggestions?
--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com