Re: [patch 00/04] RFC: Staging tree (drivers/staging)

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 16:56:30 EST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you really don't like it, just never enable any of these modules,
> you'll never be bothered by it.

So you are saying if a distro ships allmodconfig kernels or ships the
crap modules in the hope that people will find them useful and I have
one of the devices in my machine that I don't care about - I should
just let the crap module autoload and crash/taint my kernel or take
the special step of blacklisting all of them or build my own kernel -
as unreasonable as ever.

Or are you saying distros should not build the crap modules - that
doesn't make sense since it will drastically reduce the usage and
delay the identification of problems until later.

If they weren't loaded automatically - it will simplify things a lot -
people with those devices willing to use those modules can forcibly
load the ones they require - that gives you your beloved TAINT and
avoids any core kernel changes.

No offense but I don't think is helping Greg. So I will stop.

Parag