Re: Inflation of vmlinux by linker on x86_64

From: Joris van Rantwijk
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 15:57:29 EST

On 26 sep 2008, at 20:52, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Instead of adding a comment like this, we should simply rename it memmove().

Yes. I tried, but it clashed with an existing memmove declaration in asm-x86/string_32.h.

What is the accepted solution for this?
Redefining memmove should be allowed, but then it could no longer be a static function.
Using the memmove implementation from the main kernel would be painful and ugly.
We could also define "__memmove()" plus "#define memmove __memmove", which would also be ugly.

Furthermore, we probably spend enough time copying that using a real memmove() implementation, using string instructions, would be good.

Are string instructions that much faster?
We can also get some speedup by copying ints instead of chars.

Joris.