Re: [patch 00/04] RFC: Staging tree (drivers/staging)

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 17:52:16 EST

Randy Dunlap wrote:
ISTM that the real problems are (a) it's easier to introduce new staging/crap
than it is to fix EXPERIMENTAL and (b) no one wants to try to fix EXPERIMENTAL.
I don't disagree with the CRAP name... fwiw.
I think that we have enough quality problems without adding crap.

True. OTOH many if not most of the -staging drivers are ones which are already in use. Their users already deal with whatever quality problems these drivers have, in addition to having to fight with the installation hassles that are inherent to out-of-tree drivers.
--
Stefan Richter