Re: [Patch -tip 0/4] Creation of the initcall tracer

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 06:01:12 EST

* Frédéric Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patchset is about the initcall tracer requested by Ingo Molnar.
> It is supposed to replace the printk involved during fastboot if the
> initcall_debug parameter has been selected.

that was fast! :)

i've created a new -tip topic for your new tracer: tip/tracing/fastboot.
That topic is based on the tip/tracing/ftrace + tip/fastboot trees.

Note that i've done a couple of small changes to your patches:

- i've done the following renames:

:1,$s/INITCALL_TRACER/BOOT_TRACER/g
:1,$s/trace_initcall/trace_boot/g
:1,$s/initcall_trace/boot_trace/g

the reasoning: we eventually want to extend this new tracer to all
things "bootup delay", not just initcalls - hence calling it an
'initcall tracer' would be too limiting.

The goal is to help the Arjan's fastboot project to achieve 5 seconds
to-GUI bootup times like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7NxCM8ryF8

[ Even if you know what a 5 seconds bootup is, you've got to check
this "From Naught to Sixty in 5 seconds" video ;-) ]

- there were a few overlong lines in the commit logs and in the Kconfig
desciption - i fixed them up. You should check your email client and
your editor for line length settings - currently you seem to have no
line breaks at all.

- I also corrected a few capitalization things in commit subject lines
and corrected a few minor coding style errors - you can avoid these
by running scripts/checkpatch.pl over your patches. Nothing overly
serious - but you should diff against tip/master to see what the
changes are.

> Currently this tracer is a test. Its output is not yet adapted for
> scripts/bootgraph.pl which uses the old initcalls printk to produce a
> graph. But since this tracer will output sched_switch and stack_trace,
> we should first talk about the future output format of this tracer in
> sync with bootgraph.pl
>
> It currently not uses the sched_switch and stack_trace tracers since
> related functions of insertion into the ring buffer perhaps need first
> to be moved on their own tracer file. But it have to be discussed.
>
> Note that you need the initcall_debug to enable this tracer. When
> printk from initcall_debug will disappear, we could surely enable this
> tracer by default without this parameter.
>
> Old printk have been kept for backward compatibility.

yes, it's necessary to keep that backwards compatibility.

i've integrated tip/tracing/fastboot into tip/master and have started
testing it. It passed the basic tests already so i've just pushed out
the new tip/master. Please double-check that i have not messed up the
rename or the integration somewhere.

all in one, nice stuff!

Ingo