documentation about scheduling policies

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:29:20 EST

Please CC to me as I am not subscribed to linux-kernel.

Hi!

I wonder about scheduling policies in CFS. I find these:

ms@mango> grep "case SCHED_" sched.c sched_fair.c | sort | uniq
~/lokal/Kernel/linux-2.6.26/kernel
sched.c: case SCHED_BATCH:
sched.c: case SCHED_FIFO:
sched.c: case SCHED_IDLE:
sched.c: case SCHED_NORMAL:
sched.c: case SCHED_RR:

sched_fair.c seems to differentiate SCHED_PATCH only:

ms@mango> egrep "(SCHED_I|SCHED_B)" sched_fair.c
~/lokal/Kernel/linux-2.6.26/kernel
* Completely Fair Scheduling (CFS) Class (SCHED_NORMAL/SCHED_BATCH)
if (likely(!sysctl_sched_compat_yield) && curr->policy != SCHED_BATCH)
{
if (unlikely(p->policy == SCHED_BATCH))

The documentation on scheduling policies in Documentation/scheduler appears
rather scarse to me.

The wikipage at

http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/SchedulingPolicies

has more hints. But I wonder whether they are up to date and also they partly
related to RSDL/SD features.

What about SCHED_IDLEPRIO anyway - the description of it makes it appear quite
useful to me? Is it SCHED_IDLE in the new scheduler? Hmm, it does not appear
that chrt can set this scheduling priority as of util-linux-ng 2.13.1.1.

I am willing to create documentation patches provided someone explains these
to me ;-).

Ciao,
--
Martin Steigerwald - team(ix) GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90