Re: How how latent should non-preemptive scheduling be?

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 02:50:30 EST

Matt Keenan wrote:
If you use ALSA you could write a custom .asoundrc file and increase
ALSA's default buffer size, this gives the hardware a longer buffer to
play which may work around the problem. This used to do the trick for me
with the old scheduler with slow machines. Not a fix but if nothing else
works...

In all fairness turning on preemption also helps (I don't hear any drops or see any stalls once it's on) but I'm trying to work out if this is an underlying problem that can be fixed (and then there is the case of the default desktop distros).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/