Re: dmaengine.c: question about device_alloc_chan_resources

From: Haavard Skinnemoen
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 07:26:24 EST

"Dan Williams" <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Haavard Skinnemoen
> <haavard.skinnemoen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Timur Tabi <timur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Wouldn't that require it to keep track of which clients have already seen which
> >> channels? It might make more sense, but it's probably easier the current way.
> >
> > I guess so. What would be even more simple is to simply prevent other
> > clients from taking a channel once someone has acked it, which would be
> > perfect for my purposes, but perhaps not everyone else's...
>
> Does not seem too bad to have something like a DMA_EXCL flag in
> dma_chan to tell the core not to show this channel to any other
> clients.

Yes, or maybe provide an interface for simply requesting a channel
without having to register any callbacks. With some drivers, the number
of required channels is fixed, and not using DMA just isn't an option.
A simple "get a channel which satisfies these constraints" interface
would simplify these drivers a lot.

Haavard