Re: Populating multiple ptes at fault time

From: Chris Snook
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 18:29:28 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
Martin Bligh wrote:
My patches were only for anonymous pages not for file backed because readahead
is available for file backed mappings.
Do we populate the PTEs though? I didn't think that was batched, but I
might well be wrong.

We do not populate the PTEs and AFAICT PTE population was assumed not to be
performance critical since the backing media is comparatively slow.

Perhaps we should. In a virtual guest, the backing media is often an emulated IDE device, or something similarly inefficient, such that the bottleneck is the CPU.

-- Chris