Re: [RFC 0/4] dynamically allocate arch specific system vectors

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 21:14:24 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
It is one vector for each cpu.

It is more efficient for software if the vector # is the same for all cpus
Why? Especially in terms of irq counting that would seem to lead to cache
line conflicts.

but the software/hardware can support a unique vector for each cpu. This
assumes, of course, that the driver can determine the irq->vector mapping for
each cpu.

That sounds like you have a non-standard MSI-X vector. You certainly have all of
the same properties. At which point create_irq() sounds like what you want.

One irq per cpu, per device.

It is the trend. Don't worry all of the high performance drivers are doing it.
That is the path that will be optimized.

In particular, it's just another interrupt type. We already have quite a few of those, from XT-PIC to the various IOAPIC ones, to MSI and MSI-X.

Just treating these as variants of MSI seems to me to make most sense, too.

-hpa