Re: motherboard recommendations?

From: Chris Snook
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 15:25:22 EST

Jacek Poplawski wrote:
Could you recommend motherboard which works perfecly stable with Linux?
Last time I bought Asus K8V-X SE which was huge mistake - it has
serious problems with AGP in Linux.

Now I think about Intel chipset - P35 or P45.
I want Asus, Gigabyte or MSI board with heat pipe.
But I found another issue with audio and network drivers for Asus
boards, so maybe I will skip Asus this time?

Which motherboard works stable for you?

The conventional way of ensuring that a piece of hardware will work well with Linux is to hire a few kernel developers, and ship a hundred samples to other kernel developers around the world, with complete hardware specs. This technique is slow and expensive, and still not foolproof.

Alternatively, you could ask for motherboard recommendations on an enthusiast forum, which this mailing list is not. This technique is fast and cheap, but still not foolproof.

-- Chris