nice and hyperthreading on atom

From: Phil Endecott
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 11:43:45 EST

Dear Experts,

I have an ASUS Eee with an Atom processor, which has hyperthreading enabled. If I have two processes, one nice and the other normal, they each get 50% of the CPU time. Of course this is what you'd expect if the scheduler didn't understand that the two virtual processors are not really independent. I'd like to fix it.

Google finds patches posted by Con Kolivas a looong time ago to address this. Can anyone tell me what has happened in the meantime? Maybe this feature is now in the kernel, but there's something I have to do to enable it (e.g. choose the right scheduler). Or maybe it never made it in, for some reason.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Phil.