Re: [NFS] blocks of zeros (NULLs) in NFS files in kernels >= 2.6.20

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 16:41:46 EST

On Sep 5, 2008, at Sep 5, 2008, 4:04 PM, Aaron Straus wrote:
Hi,

On Sep 05 03:56 PM, Chuck Lever wrote:
[ replacing cc: nfs@xxxxxx with linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and neil's
old address with his current one ]

Sorry I probably grabbed an old MAINTAINERS file.

On Sep 5, 2008, at Sep 5, 2008, 3:19 PM, Aaron Straus wrote:
Writer_Version Outcome:
<= 2.6.19 OK
= 2.6.20 BAD

Up to which kernel? Recent ones may address this issue already.

BAD up to 2.6.27-rc?

I have to see exactly which is the last rc version I tested.

I can try to bisect between 2.6.19 <-> 2.6.20.

That's a good start.

OK will try to bisect.

Comparing a wire trace with strace output, starting with the writing
client, might also be illuminating. We prefer wireshark as it uses
good default trace settings, parses the wire bytes and displays them
coherently, and allows you to sort the frames in various useful ways.

OK. Could you also try to reproduce on your side using those python
programs? I want to make sure it's not something specific with our
mounts, etc.

I have the latest Fedora 9 kernels on two clients, mounting via NFSv3 using "actimeo=600" (for other reasons). The server is OpenSolaris 2008.5.

reader.py reported zeroes in the test file after about 5 minutes.

Looking at the file a little later, I don't see any problems with it.

Since your scripts are not using any kind of serialization (ie file locking) between the clients, I wonder if non-determinant behavior is to be expected.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com