Re: [2.6.27] overlapping early reservations [was: early exception- lockdep related?]

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 16:22:21 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 21:17 +0200, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sadly your config just boots, albeit not to userspace due to missing
drivers.
Yes, I managed to boot it with qemu... I tried kgdb - without luck -
kernel dies too early.
I also managed to get a stack trace :D

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tracedm1.jpg

It seems that lockdep is an innocent bystander... the kernel died with
panic() in __reserve_early, and then took another exception while
printing the panic (I guess).
Will add further debug stuff to see wtf is going on.
Hum, kernel says:

http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=overlappingus2.jpg

Overlapping early reservations b98000-eff266 RAMDISK to 200000-d09cf7
TEXT DATA BSS

It would appear that the initramfs is overlapping the kernel itself,
is the boot loader (LILO) doing something stupid?

Suppose it is, lets ask hpa..

It definitely looks like it.

-hpa