Re: frame unwinder patches

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 05:24:29 EST

On Thursday 04 September 2008 21:13:58 Andi Kleen wrote:
> Bernd Schubert <bs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > up to 2.6.22 the -mm series had these nice frame unwinder patches,
> > which gave beautiful stack traces. Unfortunately these frame unwinder
> > patches seem to have been dropped :(
> >
> > Anyone still maintaining updated patches?
>
> The SUSE kernel rpm should have an uptodate set
>
> (ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/HEAD )

Thanks Andi, found it! If someone else needs it, the correct path is
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/HEAD.

> I agree that they were much better than the current unwinder,
> also they didn't require slowing down the kernel with
> frame pointers.

What it the reason this patch isn't mainline? It provides better traces,
doesn't slow down the kernel (which is important in our HPC envirement), so
what is the disadvantage?

Thanks again,
Bernd

--