Re: regarding major number of block extended devt

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 12:23:18 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> But just allocating a big bucket of device numbers and throw it all into
> a pot semirandomly is likely to cause more damage, not less.

To use ext devt, the system has to use udev for device numbers. As long
as udev is used, the major number doesn't matter. In addition, breaking
drastically (e.g. can't find the device) seems better than subtle
failure (e.g. weird partition number calculation based on the
traditional minor number scheme) and CONFIG_DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT is
exactly aimed at making breakages obvious.

I don't really see there's much to gain by sharing the original major
numbers.

Thanks.

--
tejun