Re: Lenovo 3000 N100 i8042 problems

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 12:16:26 EST

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:23:25AM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> >
> > so the product name both of System and Base Board are different, and
> > apparently the systems differ. Dmitry, what fields would you propose to be
> > put in the DMI matching here? I will do the patch then.
> >

> I guess we could use System's product name to differentiate between
> Cristopher's and Daniel's boards. Although I must admit it is the very
> first time when I see a box that behaves better with active mux. DOes
> Vista use active mux nowadays? Because if it is not then I bet there
> is (or shortly will be) a BIOS update fixing legacy mode on Daniel's
> box.

Mine's actually old (came with XP). It's still got the original BIOS
(because I haven't found a way to upgrade the BIOS without reformatting my
hard drive to include Windows), and I remember there being an upgrade
available, but I don't think it had anything to do with keyboard/trackpad
stuff.

In what way does active mux usually behave badly? It's possible that
legacy mode only has a bug that doesn't matter to Windows, and active mux
may have some of the usual problems but nothing I particularly noticed.

I noticed that, when my i8042 would stop working, it would generally have
just delivered one mouse interrupt to CPU1 after never previously doing
so. Perhaps there's some sort of deadlock in the Linux i8042 driver when
both cores are unexpectedly getting interrupts from the two devices at
once? I could understand there being a Linux bug only triggered by quirky
hardware that only applies to legacy mode, which was just uncovered by
this patch.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*