GRE keepalive support

From: Bosko Radivojevic
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 08:48:36 EST

Hi all,

After a few hours of googling I realized that there is no support for
GRE keepalives in Linux. Or, better to say, GRE keepalives are Cisco's
"proprietary" feature.

The project I'm currently working for needs GRE keepalives on Linux
side (besides possibility to run some routing protocol over GRE) in
order to have "link/tunnel state" information. It looks implementing that
feature on Linux is not too complicated and I'll give a try. Are there
any obstacles I'm currently unable to see? Maybe there is a reason why
GRE keepalives are not implemented? Except lack of detailed
documentation :)

So, any comments are welcome.

Thanks!