Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc5: System boot regression caused by commita2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 23:26:23 EST

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Yinghai Lu wrote:

> we need to use insert_resource_split_to_fit instead...
>
> otherwise __request_region will not be happy.

Are you really really sure?

Try just removing the IORESOURCE_BUSY. As mentioned, if we expect the PCI
BAR's to work with the e820 resources, then BUSY really is simply not
right any more. Not that I think it should matter either..

The ones that are added _early_ should be IORESOURCE_BUSY (ie the ones
that cover RAM), but the others we now expect to nest with PCI BARs.

But since we add them after we have parsed the BAR's, I don't even see why
the BUSY bit should even matter - we've already added the fixed BARs, and
any newly allocated non-fixed ones shouldn't be allocated in e820 areas
_regardless_ of whether the BUSY bit is set or not.

So pls explain why it matters?

Linus