Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc5: System boot regression caused by commita2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 20:48:18 EST

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Yinghai Lu wrote:

> the BAR is from pci_read_bases..., so that chipset is broken...
> they are even supposed to to hide that BAR to os.

Ok, can we please

- *do* get a quirk for known-broken chipsets (at a *PCI* level, this is
not an x86 issue)

- *not* get any more random PCI work-arounds that go through the x86 tree
and aren't even looked at by the (very few) people who actually
understand the PCI resource handling?

IOW, for the first issue, just teach pci_mmcfg_check_hostbridge() about
this broken bridge, and have it fix things up (including hiding the thing,
but also just verifying that the dang thing even -works- etc).

For the second issue - please do realize that we have had much over a
_decade_ of work on the PCI resource handling, and it's fragile. The thing
I reverted really isn't something that Ingo should ever have committed in
the first place. It's not something an x86 maintainer can even make sane
decisions on.

Resource handling things _need_ to get ACK's from people like Ivan
Kokshaysky or me. Or at least _several_ other people who actually really
understand not just PCI resource handling, but have actually seen all the
horrible crap it causes, and understand how fragile this stuff is. It's
all different, and it's all about all the million of broken machines out
there that screw things up.

Linus