Re: USBIP protocol

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 11:36:53 EST

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 07:54:07AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:43:54AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > USB is fundamentally packet-based, so it kind of fits very well.
> >
> > Erm, did you not read what I wrote? USB is packet based. TCP isn't.
> > We shouldn't be using TCP here.
>
> Sorry, early morning, no coffee yet...
>
> I think in the end, we should still use TCP otherwise you just end up
> reinventing it with UDP :)

Which brings us to the alternate -- that we need better framing in the
protocol.

> Ok, switch it all to be little endian, not a bit deal.

No, but it does need agreement ;-)

> > > Is that a real problem?
> >
> > Yes, it really is. It complicates the protocol, complicates the
> > implementation, introduces unnecessary state, and makes it impossible to
> > renegotiate on the same connection.
>
> Fair enough, patches welcome :)

Patches don't seem appropriate for a design discussion. I'm more than
happy to make suggestions about how to unify the two protocols. I'll
send a followup to this with some ideas.

> > Even if we don't go through the RFC process, just writing down the
> > on-wire protocol should be mandatory for taking this kind of thing into
> > the kernel.
>
> Why, isn't the actual implementation better than a document? :)

Surely you know that writing things down forces you to understand it
better?

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."