Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] m68knommu: remove the broken COMEMPCI code

From: Greg Ungerer
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 07:08:22 EST

Hi Adrian,

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:13:24PM +1000, Greg Ungerer wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:16:12PM +1000, Greg Ungerer wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Adrian Bunk wrote:
There exists blackfin hardware with PCI support, but the support
currently in the kernel fails to build starting with:

<-- snip -->

CC init/main.o
In file included from dma-mapping.h:5,
from dma-mapping.h:52,
from dmaengine.h:29,
from skbuff.h:29,
from netlink.h:155,
from genetlink.h:4,
from genetlink.h:4,
from taskstats_kern.h:12,
from main.c:46:
dma-mapping.h: In function 'dma_supported': ma-mapping.h:24: error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_dma_supported'
make[2]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
I think we should just remove the underlying comempci access
code which is the only user of this (arch/m68knommu/kernel/comempci.c).
Nobody has used it in a very long time. And the hardware itself is
old, and completely brain-damaged by design.
A patch for removing the comempci code is below.

It's a bit suspicious that asm/elia.h is now removed since comempci.c was the only user. What's the sttus of the eLIA platform?
Only ever a handful where made, and that was in 1999.
I doubt anyone could ever use the PCI interface on it
in any useful way.

So I can send a patch to remove the platform?

Yeah, I guess we can add in back in of anyone complains.
I don't know of any users of it anymore.

But COMEMPCI fails with a different error - this init/main.o build error is present for CONFIG_PCI=y, CONFIG_COMEMPCI=n, so the dependency of PCI on BROKEN is still required (unless it gets fixed).
Unless I am mistaken there is now no need for the CONFIG_PCI option
if selecting m68knommu. The only m68knommu platforms that had PCI
as far as I know where those that use the comempci part.

That implies I can also kill the m68k PCI code since m68knommu will never use it?

Yep.

Regards
Greg

The patch looks ok to me too (acked below).

Thanks.

Regards
Greg

cu