Re: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c -bisected

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 15:31:40 EST

On Mit, 2008-08-27 at 18:51 +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
[...]
> It is, but the idea that small embedded systems go through a 'all
> components are known, drivers are known, test and if it passes it's
> shippable' does not always apply.

Not always but often enough. And yes, there is ARM-based embedded
hardware with 1GB Flash-RAM and 128MB RAM.

> > > I'm seriously thinking of forwarding porting the 4 year old firmware
> > > from 2.4.26 to 2.6.current, just to get new drivers and capabilities.
> >
> > That sounds reasonable (and I never meant maintaining the old system
> > infinitely.
>
> Sounds reasonable, but it's vetoed for anticipated time and cost,

That is to be expected;-)

[....]
> > ACK. We avoid MMU-less hardware too - especially since there is enough
> > hardware with a MMU around.
>
> I can't emphasise enough how much difference MMU makes to Linux userspace.
>
> It's practically: MMU = standard Linux (with less RAM), have everything.
> No-MMU = lots of familiar 'Linux' things not available or break.

ACK. And tell that a customer that everything is more effort and more
risk and not just "simply cross-compile it as it runs on my desktop
too".

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55