Re: [RFC] [Patch 1/1] [Self Ptrace] System call notification withself_ptrace

From: Pierre Morel
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 08:36:58 EST

Hi,

Dave Hansen wrote:
On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 09:34 +0200, Pierre Morel wrote:
+ if ((current->ptrace & PT_SELF)
+ && (regs->orig_ax != __NR_rt_sigreturn)
+ && (regs->orig_ax != __NR_ptrace)) {
+ if (!entryexit) {
+ struct siginfo info;
+
+ memset(&info, 0, sizeof(struct siginfo));
+ info.si_signo = SIGSYS;
+ info.si_code = SYS_SYSCALL;
+ info.si_addr = (void *) regs->orig_ax;
+ send_sig_info(SIGSYS, &info, current);
+ }
+ return 1; /* Skip system call, deliver signal. */
+ }

The indenting here looks messed up.
You are right, I will rework the patch and send it again, it has a lot of
formating errors indeed.
Also, there looks to be a pretty substantial amount of copy-and-paste
code in those little if()s. It's only going to get worse as we add more
architectures. If there's ever a little buglet in that bit of code, or
we need to tweak it it some way, it'll be a bitch to fix.

For instance, if you have a little arch-independent helper like this:

static inline int is_self_ptracing(unsigned long syscall_reg)
{
if (!(current->ptrace & PT_SELF))
return 0;
if (syscall_reg == __NR_rt_sigreturn)
return 0;
if (syscall_reg == __NR_ptrace)
return 0;
return 1;
}

You can call it like this:

if (is_self_ptracing(regs->gprs[2]))
if (is_self_ptracing(regs->orig_ax))
if (is_self_ptracing(regs->orig_rax))

Something similar can probably be done for the siginfo construction.
Yes, thank you it is a good tip.
You should basically try and think of ways to abstract this stuff every
single time you touch arch code.

Why don't you also mention why you really want this feature. That's
missing from the description.
Yes, you are right too, I will rework the patch description too.
-- Dave

Thanks for the comments, I rework the patch.

Pierre