Re: latest -git: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/ipi.c:123send_IPI_mask_bitmask+0xc3/0xe0()

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 17:24:38 EST

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:47:02 -0400
Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:36:49PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > > If we get a thermal event that was caused by temporary
> > > increased workload, temperature will drop off again when that
> > > workload is complete.
> >
> > But none of the cpufreq governours do this. They only care about
> > load, not about temperature.
>
> Which is good enough to stop p4 laptops from shutting down as
> soon as they've finished booting up.\

that's such an enormous gamble it's not funny.

really; if your bios has broken trippoints we should use the kernel
commandline to disable them (and a dmi blacklist if the amount of
bioses that have it wrong is low.. maybe combined with a date based
threshold).

Just praying that p4clockmod keeps it kinda low enough is not the
answer.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org