Re: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c - bisected

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 16:45:44 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Alan D. Brunelle wrote:
Mine has:

Dump of assembler code for function sys_init_module:
0xffffffff802688c4 <sys_init_module+4>: sub $0x1c0,%rsp

so 448 bytes.

Yeah, your build seems to have consistently bigger stack usage, and that may be due to some config option, but most likely it's a compiler version issue.

I wonder if we ought to have a light version of "make checkstack" always run,
but in such a way that we make a file with "limits" on the stack usage for key
functions (and we can grow this list over time when we learn about critical ones)..
and either warn very loudly or even fail the build if we're way over what could work.