Re: CPU load after killing iwlagn with RF kill switch

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 15:31:21 EST

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:01:26AM -0700, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM, John W. Linville
> <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:20:54PM +0300, Tomas Winkler wrote:

> >> 80fcc9e28cf3a209fbfb39a7bbddc313c59c7424
> >> This one is wrong and there are more then are not acked even though
> >> they cause no problem. In general I would prefer that patches will be
> >> acked by Yi or me.
> >
> > And in general, they are. In general I would prefer if you would
> > work upstream instead of working in iwlwifi-2.6 and periodically
> > dumping a dozen or more patches on me all at once. C'est la vie...
>
> We cannot because no OSV or OEM ships latest kernel and mac80211 is
> periodically broken. There is a reason why compat-wireless was
> brought to life. The innovation to stabilization and testing ratio is
> not good. This is of course more complex than that and I didn't find
> the golden way yet.

compat-wireless came to life to prevent alternative tree solutions, to
prevent patch hogging in separate trees and to try to help with backward
compatibility. That was my main motivation. If mac80211 is broken I see
no one but ourselves to blame.

OEMs should rely on stock kernels distributions pick. If patches are needed
on top of that then patch *fixes* should be supplied on top of the stable
kernel. Development work (cleanups, etc) can go onto wireless-testing
then.

Luis