Re: latest -git: WARNING: at arch/x86/kernel/ipi.c:123 send_IPI_mask_bitmask+0xc3/0xe0()

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 14:31:21 EST

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That would be a problem... I presume this problem is independent of the
> patch, though?

I sorted it -- thanks! It turned out to be pretty obscure; my tty
setting for the receiving end of the serial console was set to echo.
So when the machine booted, it was echoing lots of characters into the
Fedora 7 init, which would prompt for the starting of cpuspeed
initscript. Turning off echo for the tty was what triggered the
slowness; removing cpuspeed from the runlevel entirely solved the
problem.

Don't know why cpuspeed would select a governor which runs the CPU at
a constant 300 MHz, though.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it