Re: NFS regression? Odd delays and lockups accessing an NFS export.

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 18:12:08 EST

(added some quoting from previous mail to save replying twice)

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 15:19 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 15:17 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > >From the tcpdump, it looks as if the NFS server is failing to close the
> > socket, when the client closes its side. You therefore end up getting
> > stuck in the FIN_WAIT2 state (as netstat clearly shows above).
> >
> > Is the server keeping the client in this state for a very long
> > period?

Well, it had been around an hour and a half on this occasion. Next time
it happens I can wait longer but I'm pretty sure I've come back from
time away and it's been wedged for at least a day. How long would you
expect it to remain in this state for?

> BTW: the RPC client is closing the socket because it detected no NFS
> activity for 5 minutes. Did you expect any NFS activity during this
> time?

It's a mythtv box so at times where no one is watching anything and
there isn't anything to record I expect NFS activity is pretty minimal.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Can anyone remember when the times were not hard, and money not scarce?