better support for EV-DO AC8700 800 M usbserial modem ??

From: ctuxer
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 00:12:37 EST

hi everyone ,

i have been using the EVDO AC8700 modem (usbserial) with kernel 2.6.26.2 , it uses the 'option' module along with the generic usbserial module . Well i am happy for the improved support for the modem handling in the new kernels( like now i don have to modprobe with the vendor and product IDs ) , there is one point specific to this modem which is still not handled , ..... the modem switches between EVDO and CDMA mode when the signal strength is low or when there is a bandwidth overload at the vendor's( the service provider , bsnl in my case ) tower . This switch in the mode is not recognised by the driver and the connection is lost once this switching occurs . I have to restart the wvdial program to reconnect .

But if the modem were in CDMA mode when i connect , then the connection is not lost when the modem switches back from CDMA to EVDO . I really don know enough to understand what is the difference between the two cases or what can be done to improve the support for this usbserial modem , ... can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance

Satish