Re: linux-next: Tree for August 14 (sysfs/acpi errors)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 22:58:21 EST

Extract is:

XXX adding modparam:'acpi.power_nocheck' 34 (ffffffff806a4cf0)
XXX adding modparam:'acpi.acpica_version' 45 (ffffffff806a4ea8)

Two different "modules" use the same prefix, which does not work with
the current logic, they need to live next to each other in the sequence
of options.

Sequence of options being defined by link order?

This adds a new option:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git;a=commitdiff;h=1382827e93799ec07790849e361267993cfe549e
ïwhich specifies ïMODULE_PARAM_PREFIX="acpi." in:
drivers/acpi/power.c
In the same way as:
drivers/acpi/system.c

Seems, two different modules should not declare parameters in different
locations, and use the same MODULE_PARAM_PREFIX.

That seems bogus to me. Assuming we have some code in a module and then split
it out into two different modules. Or move an option from one file to another.
Would we need to change the option name then?

I think the generic params code should be fixed to handle this.

-Andi