Re: Efficient x86 and x86_64 NOP microbenchmarks

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 16:22:39 EST

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Also I must say the whole ftrace noping exercise is pretty pointless without
> avoiding frame pointers because it does save less than what you lose
> unconditionally from the "select FRAME_POINTER"

Andi, you seem to have missed the whole point. This is a _correctness_
issue as long as the nop is not a single instruction. And the workaround
for that is uglier than just making a single-instruction nop.

So the question now is to find a good nop that _is_ a single atomic
instruction. Your blathering about frame pointers is missing the whole
point!

Linus