Re: 2.6.27-rc0 Power Bugs with HP/Compaq Laptops

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 13:19:29 EST

> > "This is not the right fix. Instead, HPET should be used as a timer
> > source for dynticks. This is not in 2.6.26, but I tried the
> > linux-next tree (google it) and it looked like dynticks worked fine,
> > without disabling C1E. Can't place my finger on the exact commit,
> > but you could check."

Would be nice to figure out which exact change solves the problem, so
that we could fast-route it into v2.6.27. (and for eventual .26 and .25
backporting, if it's simple enough)

first thing would be to check whether tip/master works fine:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README

if that works fine it would be nice to check whether the pending changes
in tip/timers/hpet solves this particular issue. That can be done by:

git-checkout -b tmp.test tip/timers/hpet

[ once you have set up tip as a remote repository, as described in the
README above. ]

If tip/timers/hpet solves the problem then it's one of these five
commits that solves it:

f92a789: hpet: /dev/hpet - fixes and cleanup, fix
64a76f6: hpet: /dev/hpet - fixes and cleanup
f356181: x86: add PCI ID for 6300ESB force hpet
3243b4e: x86: add another PCI ID for ICH6 force-hpet
70ef6d5: x86: get irq for hpet timer

Ingo