Re: [Bug #11201] kernel BUG at arch/x86/kernel/io_apic_64.c:357!

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 15:53:42 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> This message has been generated automatically as a part of a report
>>> of recent regressions.
>>>
>>> The following bug entry is on the current list of known regressions
>>> from 2.6.26. Please verify if it still should be listed and let me know
>>> (either way).
>>
>> Yep. There is a patch in -mm. It seems the process is to wait for Thomas &
>> Ingo to get back before we send this to Linus.
>>

> Yes, unfortunately I still don't have enough testing resources to want to push
> this upstream. I'm queuing it up for submission, though.

No problem. I don't expect any problems as it is a simple reversion of the
definition of NR_IRQS on x86_64 to what we had before everything was merged
into irq_vectors.h and the x86_64 bits got lost.

With the result that NR_IRQS varies in practice between 244 and 4096
depending on how many cpus you have. We have had NR_IRQS that large on
x86_64 for a year or better now so I don't expect any practical problems.

The long term fix will obviously be kill NR_IRQS. But that is not a 2.6.27
term project.

Eric