Re: kernel command line from u-boot

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 08:21:12 EST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Amol Lad wrote:
> It seems that there is a small problem when kernel parses the command
> line passed by u-boot.

It doesn't seem to be specific to u-boot...

> For example, when I add "board=myboard boardid=1" in the command line
> and register handler in kernel as __setup("board", board_setup), then
> the board_setup function is called twice : once with argument
> "myboard" and second time with argument "d=1". So kernel is calling
^^^
Wow, when init/main.c:obsolete_checksetup() matches the `board' part,
it ignores the next character (`i'), assuming this is `=', and passes
the remainder (`d=1').

> handler registered for param "board" for "boardid" also. Is this ok ?

I don't think this is OK.

Probably nobody noticed as this part of the code takes care of the
`obsolete-style' parameters. `module_param' is the new way.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis 293-0376800-10 GEBA-BE-BB