Re: [patch 1/3] kmsg: Kernel message catalog macros.

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 04:33:30 EST

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 13:07 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > But the structure of dev_printk() is well definied and should be pretty
> > > trival to parse even with missing fields.
> >
> > The missing field is the message tag. Which is the key for the message
> > lookup. As far as the kmsg catalog is concerned this is a pretty
> > important field that may not be missing from the printk itself.
>
> No, I mean use dev_printk() as the base for your logging macro. Add
> your message tag as the first field after the dev_printk() information.

Hmm, you are proposing to introduce a second format for the kmsg
messages to avoid the need for some more printk wrapper macros. To me it
seems that this has two problems:
1) The message tag is for the user of the system. If it does not have a
fixed position it gets confusing.
2) The message tag for a driver message usually already includes the
driver name, the dev_printk will print it again. This is ugly and
reduces the quality of the message.

--
blue skies,
Martin.