Re: Opteron Rev E has a bug ... a locked instruction doesn't act as a read-acquire barrier (confirmed)

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 13:14:10 EST

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Wahlig, Elsie wrote:
> Your issue may be one that has been seen on 1st generation
> AMD Opteron processor's with cpuid family 0Fh, cpuid model's
> < 40h with the code sequence that performs a read-modify write
> operation after acquiring a semaphore.

Matches my hardware

cpu family : 15
model : 33

> The memory read ordering between a semaphore operation and a
> subsequent read-modify-write instruction (an instruction which
> uses the same memory location as both a source and destination)
> may allow the read-modify-write instruction to operate on the
> memory location ahead of the completion of the semaphore
> operation and an erratum may occur.

I wonder why there was no official errata about this?

> If you think your software is encountering this code sequence,
> a work-around should be implemented by adding an LFENCE
> instruction right after the semaphore, after a cpuid check.
> The workaround's applied to OpenSolaris at
> http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/onnv-notify/2006-October/009080.ht
> ml
> and Google performance tools tool at
> http://google-perftools.googlecode.com/svn-history/r48/trunk/src/base/at
> omicops-internals-x86.cc
> are suitable examples.
> A list of the model numbers this issue may occur on is at
> http://products.amd.com/en-us/downloads/AMD_Opteron_First_Generation_Ref
> erence_101607.pdf.

Would be better to fix the bug on kernel level if this is possible. Just
someone with the knowledge needs to do this. Anyone interested?

--
Arkadiusz MiÅkiewicz PLD/Linux Team
arekm / maven.pl http://ftp.pld-linux.org/