Re: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 12:58:26 EST

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:54:27AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:11:49AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Are they SCSI? I just got round to trying 4k sector sizes in ata_ram
> > (after adding file backed capability) and found that libata currently
> > silently ignores the identify bits that report sector size. I'll work
> > on fixing that this afternoon if nobody beats me to it.
>
> OK, I have patches. I'll send them to linux-ide. If anyone wants to
> try them, I pushed out two trees; one for libata:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/misc.git;a=shortlog;h=ata-large-sectors
>
> and one for ata_ram supporting:
> - large sectors
> - file backing
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/misc.git;a=shortlog;h=ata-ram

I forgot to mention ... I didn't add support for 520-byte (or 4104-byte
or 4160-byte) sectors. Martin helpfully pointed me to
http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2008/e07162r2-External_Path_Protection.pdf
but it seems like T13 haven't allocated some words for this yet. If
anyone wants to work on this, please contact me; I have some thoughts.

a retrograde step."