Re: Switching TestSetPageLocked to trylock_page

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 23:28:41 EST

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:

> On Thursday 31 July 2008 17:26, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if I could get a patch merged which changes all
> > TestSetPageLocked and replaces them with trylock_page?
>
> Yes? No?
>
> The alternative is try to merge it via -mm or -next, but that just
> wastes everybodies time with conflicts of having these differences
> between -mm and mainline.

Heh. I had just been _assuming_ this would go through -mm, since it's
exactly the kind of thing that usually does go through there.

So I hadn't even really considered it.

I don't mind the patch per se, but can you give some background on what
the pending optimization is that makes such a big difference?

Linus