Re: Kconfig no longer outputs a .config with freshly updated defconfigs

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 22:53:32 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> > Why can't we simply always write the .config?
>
> Hi Adrian.
>
> I just pushed a patch that does this.

If I see it correctly that's not quite correct either. The old
silentoldconfig does a few things differently than a normal config target,
because it's a special target called by Kbuild when needed:

- bail out if input is needed but stdio is not a tty
- silent mode
- update .config only as needed
- always update autoconf

With the change to make the silent mode the default, the "silent" name has
become a little obsolete and should probably be renamed, but whatever the
name above actions should still be done if called by Kbuild internally.

bye, Roman