Re: Kernel Summit request for Discussion of future of ATA (libata)and IDE

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 18:46:54 EST

Hello.

Alan Cox wrote:
newer controllers support the 32bit PIO data cycles. Most PCI controllers
it makes no speed difference but host bus controllers (especially
PIIX/ICH) really benefit.

PIIX was a pure PCI controller, IIRC. ICH is also not a "host bus" controller, it hangs off the I/O hub bus...

In what way if there's no speed gain?

As in the numbers are the same before and after. The FIFO on the
controller is happily hiding the extra latencies I assume.

Depends on the PIO mode -- in the lower ones, the prefetch reads might really be slower than successive reads on the host bus...

supported. I couldn't track down where that bit was actually defined in the first place, all the way back to ATA-1 it seems to be indicated as reserved. Actually, I'm not sure why the drive cares in the first place, it would seem like a pure host controller issue..
It goes back before IDE into the depths of the original compaq spec. When
you have a device wired basically directly to the ISA bus (original IDE)
ISA has only 8/16-bit data bus, so it could not have mattered there...

Depends what a 32bit I/O looks like on the 16bit bus - timing wise.

Two 16-bit reads at addresses 0x1x0 and 0x1x2 with the programmed recovery time, IIRC... It's just occured to me that in case of the 16-bit bus it should be how the drive treated the accesses at address 0x1x2 with IOCS16 asserted that could have mattered. If it honored them, 32-bit I/O could have worked even on a dumb ISA "controller", if not -- no way (unless you really had *something* between the ISA and the IDE cable).

MBR, Sergei