Re: [patch 2/4] Configure out file locking features

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 12:58:28 EST

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 19:49 +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 06:26:16PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > Le Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:37:57 +0300,
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :
> >
> > > I'm just not a fan of adding config options for each few kB of code -
> > > we have to maintain them and the more complex the configuration
> > > becomes the more often it breaks.
> >
> > I'm not a fan of these too, but are there other solutions ?
>
> There are many things that can be done to reduce the kernel size or try
> to minimize the growth of the kernel.
>
> E.g. working on --combine -fwhole-program (where David once had
> preliminary patches for the per-module approach) might be better.

Yeah, I'm planning to dig that out again and play with it some time
soon. The Kbuild issues were too scary at the time, but I'm less
frightened of it these days...

Segher has also been looking at it, and reported quite a useful win when
he used it to combine arch/$ARCH/mm and mm/, and arch/$ARCH/kernel and
kernel/.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation