Re: [patch 2/4] Configure out file locking features

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 10:20:33 EST

Le Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:53:19 +0300,
Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :

> As I've already said in the past I'm personally not a huge fan of
> these patches, but if it brings advantages in real-life situations
> it's hard to argue against it.

Yes, I've seen your points about that kind of patches on
linux-embedded, and I understand them. I agree that adding dozens and
dozens of configuration items for small features doesn't look like
something sustainable on the long run. However, the kernel keeps
growing and this isn't sustainable either on the long run for *some*
embedded users. So, what should we do ? (That's a real question)

Some numbers about a bootable x86 allnoconfig kernel with ELF, ext2 and
IDE support :

text data bss dec hex filename
1110389 119468 217088 1446945 161421 vmlinux.2.6.26
1134606 118840 212992 1466438 166046 vmlinux.2.6.27-rc1
24217 -628 -4096 19493 4C25 +/-

(The only configuration change between the two kernels is
CONFIG_FW_LOADER n->y, which pulls drivers/base/firmware_class.o, 3k).

> In which use cases can users safely disable this option, and on what
> devices have you verified that CONFIG_FILE_LOCKING=n kernels actually
> work in practice?

As long as they don't use NFS (realistic in many production
environments) and that the applications do not rely on advisory locking
(flock() and fnctl() F_GETLK and F_SETLK), file locking can be
disabled. In practice, I only tested a CONFIG_FILE_LOCKING=n kernel
with a basic Busybox under Qemu.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--