Re: Kernel WARNING: at net/core/dev.c:1330 __netif_schedule+0x2c/0x98()

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 08:38:58 EST

On Thursday 31 July 2008 22:29, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:37:57 +0200
>
> > Looks like enough to me. (Probably it could even share space with
> > the state.)
>
> So I made some progress on this, three things:
>
> 1) I remember why I choose a to use a bit in my design, it's so that
> it does not increase the costs of the checks in the fast paths.
> test_bit(X) && test_bit(Y) can be combined into a single test by
> the compiler.

Except for the braindead volatile that gets stuck on the bitops pointer.

Last time I complained about this, a lot of noise was made and I think
Linus wanted it to stay around so we could pass volatile pointers to
bitops & co without warnings. I say we should just remove the volatile
and kill any callers that might warn...