Re: [patch 3/4] Configure out ethtool support

From: David Miller
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 06:51:36 EST

From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:42:47 +0100

> It's alleged that these functions are called from 'core' network code in
> some places, although I can't actually see any evidence of that anywhere
> in Linus' tree except for vlans and bridging.
>
> If that's actually the case, perhaps it makes sense to add a
> WARN_ON_ONCE() to these empty functions, so that a developer who
> disables CONFIG_ETHTOOL when they shouldn't will see a nasty warning
> about it rather than a silent failure?
>
> Btw, I see you've made bridging 'select ETHTOOL'; did you do the same
> for vlan support?

CONFIG_INET needs it too.

dev_disable_lro() calls the ethtool ops directly.

But it still needs to be conditional, because as I said what I see
happening next is this CONFIG_ETHTOOL thing getting jammed into each
and every network driver. (in fact, ethtool support code in a single
driver probably drarfs the 6K savings this initial patch is giving
us).

And at which point you'll have a broken system for drivers that
enable LRO and the user enables forwarding.