RE: [patch 2/3] kmsg: Kernel message catalog script.

From: Takashi Nishiie
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 06:24:19 EST

> /*?
> * Tag: <component>.<id>
> * Text: "<kmsg message text>"
> * Severity: <severity>
> * Parameter:
> * @1: <description of the first message parameter>
> * @2: <description of the second message parameter>
> * ...
> * <What is the kmsg message all about>
> * User action:
> * <What can the user do to fix the problem> */
>
> The script looks for a kmsg comment for a kmsg printk at three places,
> the source file where the kmsg call is located, in the architecture
> dependent file Documentation/kmsg/$ARCH/<component> and in the common
> file Documentation/kmsg/<component>.
>
> The kmsg check is invoked with "make D=1" and reads the source files
> for all objects that are built by the current configuration and
> searches for matching kmsg descriptions for the kmsg messages in the
> source which have a messages id > 0. If a message description can not
> be found the script prints a blueprint and causes a make error.
>
> The kmsg man page creation is invoked with "make D=2" and reads the
> source files for all built objects, looks up the message description
> and writes a man page to $(objtree)/man.

I think it is good to number the message. It might be gospel for
providing with the support service for the corporation.
However, there is a problem of the scale in numbering of not only a
specific module but also all modules to the message. (There might be
at least 34000 relating messages or more. )

It introduces the following Web sites as a approach that arranges
the message on a Japanese Web site though it apologizes.

OSS Message Pedia
http://ossmpedia.org/
(Attention: This Web site is being written in Japanese. )

Thanks

--
NISHIIE Takashi